Blackberry Whiskey Smash11:57 AM
This easy-drinking cocktail is made by muddling juicy blackberries, mint, and lemon and then adding bourbon and a splash of simple syrup. Summer in a frosty lowball glass!
Here in Colorado we've been enjoying a rainy but very chilly spring. This means I'm bundled up indoors fantasizing about patio weather, picnics, and summery cocktails like this blackberry whiskey smash. I see lots of sun in the forecast, so I will soon be enjoying these al fresco (the best way to drink them). These are super easy to make, and so delicious. Even if whiskey makes you pause, the big fruity flavor of blackberry means that these aren't bourbon-forward in flavor.
Blackberry Whiskey Smash
- 1/4 of a large lemon (or 1/2 of a small one), sliced into a few pieces
- 1 mint sprig, plus another for garnish
- 4-5 blackberries
- 2 oz bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 oz simple syrup*
1. Place lemon, a mint sprig, and blackberries into a cocktail shaker. Muddle for a minute. The blackberries will release a lot of juice.
2. Add bourbon and simple syrup to the shaker and fill with ice. Shake enthusiastically for a minute. Strain into a lowball glass full of ice. (I suggest straining through a small mesh strainer like this one to get all those blackberry seeds out.) Garnish with mint sprig and enjoy!
* Simple syrup is equal parts granulated sugar and water - heat until the sugar dissolves and then cool. I like to make a batch with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water and keep it in a glass jar in the fridge. It will last 3-4 weeks.