Sweet (But Not Too Sweet) Corn Muffins9:47 AM
These honey-kissed corn muffins are just the right amount of sweet while also being moist and delicious. They are also seriously fast to make with only about 5 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes in the oven.
This recipe is one that I turn to when I've had a black bean soup or a chili simmering in the slow cooker all day, but then I want to whip up a quick muffin to make it a really hearty meal. It is the perfect last minute muffin! Then we get to enjoy corn muffins toasted with butter for breakfast over the next few days.
I adapted the recipe from this very popular honey cornbread muffin that (in my mind) has a shocking amount of sugar, plus a little too much honey. I cut back both and found this to be my, ahem, sweet spot.
Makes 12 muffins
Sweet (But Not Too Sweet) Corn Muffins
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 tablespoons honey
1. First go ahead and melt your butter so that it has a little time to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl (or do as I do and use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup - fewer dishes to wash!), whisk together milk, eggs, melted butter, and honey. With a wooden spoon, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
4. Place muffin liners into a muffin tin. Evenly divide the mixture between all 12 cups. Pop into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.